Get Commio’s SMS texting scorecard to be sure your messages make it to your recipients and avoid carrier spam traps.
Text messaging is wildly popular. Not only is texting convenient, 9 out of 10 are read within 3 minutes, making them a game-changer for SaaS platforms and any businesses who needs to engage with current or potential customers.
The challenge arises when businesses, intentionally or not, break the rules set by the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) or CTIA (the wireless communications trade association) and discover that their content is blocked or undelivered by the carriers. These organizations and guidelines were formed for the industry to avoid SMS and MMS channels being overwhelmed with inappropriate, illegal, or spammy content.
How do I prevent my messages from being filtered?
Follow the guidelines in Commio’s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to avoid sending spam or fraudulent traffic. We’ll keep this page and our policies up-to-date with the industry’s best practices. Most of you also know about the various long code (10DLC) campaign rules being put into place by the carriers right now; you can read more about that in this blog series. And, here are additional guidelines that will greatly reduce the chances your campaigns are rejected or your messages are filtered by carriers.
- Only send messages to mobile users who have provided consent (opted in) to receive messages from you.
- Ensure that your messages clearly identify who is sending the message, and how to opt out (for example, “Reply STOP to unsubscribe”).
- If you are contacting the same recipients multiple times per month, you do not need to provide opt-out instructions in every message, but you must do it at least once per month.
- If you are sending messages to users repeatedly over a long period of time, you should check in with your recipients at least once every 18 months to ensure they still want to receive messages from you. The mobile number you are sending messages to may have changed owners, or the recipient may not remember giving consent to receive messages from you.
If you’re sending toll-free messaging, you can also get your number white listed. Toll-free doesn’t have the same throughput restrictions as long code because of the new 10DLC requirements, but carriers are now requiring that numbers get whitelisted on any sizable campaign to avoid having messages being blocked. So, approved campaigns on toll-free can increase your daily delivery. To get white listed by Commio, simply request the form from our Customer Success team, fill it out and return it to us. We’ll send it to our toll-free carrier for review.
A+ SMS Scorecard
Be sure your messages score an A to ensure delivery potential and don’t get caught in a carrier’s spam trap. Here’s our A2P (Application to Person) SMS content grading scale, where we provide hands-on examples of messages that fall into each category.
A Messages (Best Delivery)
- Your Bank: We suspect transaction at Retailer is fraud. Reply YES if this was your charge.
- Here is your one time password: PW
- Your appointment with Company is scheduled for 3PM tomorrow. Reply YES to confirm or NO to reschedule.
- Your bill with Company is due. Please make your payment today.
- You haven’t been to Restaurant in a while. Here’s a coupon.
- You were thinking about buying Product, here’s a message about that. Buy now at this link: https://bit.55666.ly
F Messages (Worst Delivery)
- Student loans
- Debt refinance
- Mortgage loan
- Pay day
- Marijuana / CBD
- Cam girls
- Adult / Porn
Sending unwanted traffic could result in blocking your source numbers (DIDs) from being able to send texts. Here are additional guidelines on the types of traffic we recommend and restrict:
Traffic Requirements for A2P: Long code, Toll-free, Short code
- Two Way Communications
- Opt-In Appointment Reminders & Customer Scheduling
Marketing Requirements: Long code, Toll-free
- Opt-in Promotional Traffic
- Consumer Expectation of Communication
- Adult material
- Phone Service Solicitations
- Casino & Gaming
- Fraudulent Intent
With teli Messaging, you can scale your text messaging campaigns or power your reminder or appointments platform using our high-performance API. Whether you already have existing apps for your business or are starting from scratch, our API will help you get the text messaging features and performance you need.
Teli by Commio’s SMS API is an easy way to integrate messaging solutions into your apps and provide new communications experiences to your end users. Our API integration will equip you with the tools needed to deliver high-volume, commercial-grade SMS, MMS, and toll-free functionality across your apps and phone numbers.
Whether you simply want to integrate SMS, add multimedia messaging into your applications, or experiment with outbound SMS marketing or appointment reminders, teli by Commio’s SMS API has got what you need to create an application that will satisfy your users and allow you to communicate via text messages instantly and cost-effectively.
Learn more and get a demo with one of our text messaging experts today.